History of Suzdal. XIX century.
At the end of XVIII century a regular plan of Suzdal was confirmed and stone
construction continued. There were mostly citizens’ buildings in comparison with
previous centuries. In 1806-1811 Trading Rows (Guest Yard, Gostiny Dvor) were
built in the centre of the town. In 1834 Public offices were opened too (now a
registry office is placed there). In 1820s a local pawnshop and Custom
Department were installed. After a defeat of Napoleon 72-metres bell tower was
raised at the Convent of the Deposition of the Robe of the Mother of God.
In the mid of the XIX century, in Suzdal, several god-like
enterprises appeared - Vikhreevsky female resort (now it is a kindergarden №3),
Shishkinsky resort for boys-orphans, Blokhinskaya hospice that was opened by a
famous merchant Blokhin who financed it by his funds (In Soviet period it was an
The main street of the town became a place where native
merchants constructed their buildings, having a remarkable difference in an
architectural style, depending on what owners preferred. Those houses have been
preserved almost in an original view.
By that time Suzdal had been aggrandized and had evolved into
a merchant city. In the XIX century there were about 180 trading places in
Gostiny Dvor owned by Suzdalian and foreign merchants.
A big annual fair was held in the town and merchants from all
over Russia arrived there every year on 23 September. No wonder - this place was
located on the trading route from the southern provinces (gubernias) to the
north, towards Arkhangelsk and St.Petersburg.
Citizens of Suzdal and surroundings farmed mostly and had
vegetables and fruit gardens. Also a number of crafts: embossing, gold
embroidery art, weaving, bells founding were developing. The goods of Suzdalian
manufactures and leather were distributed in all southern regions of Russia.
After building of Nicholas Railway (Moscow-Nizhniy Novgorod
railway) Suzdal lost its position as a trading centre dramatically. Manufacture
of neighbouring Ivanovo was increased and only some small manufactures and
private craftsmen stayed in Suzdal. They got orders from Ivanovo and Orekhovo