History of Suzdal. XVII century.
XVII century started for Suzdal with
Polish-Lithuanian destruction. It
left a visible mark on a town image.
In 1607 Lzhedmitry II located next
to Moscow in Tushino (it was called
Tushinsky yard). He failed in taking
Moscow by storm and
Polish-Lithuanian forces made a
depredation of neighbouring towns.
In 1608 after a
brief siege, Polish-Lithuanian
forces took Suzdal and after a total
depredation burned it. In 1611 they
destroyed the city once again.
Traces of those tragic events
remained in a face of the town and
in the memory of citizens for a very
long period of time. Suzdal took an
active part in a struggle against
Polish invasion for a freedom of
Moscow state: in 1612 Dmitry
Pozharsky, a prince of Suzdal with
his fence helped Moscow citizens.
In the first
quarter of XVII century Suzdal faces
bad harvests and as a consequence,
peasants mutinies. In 1634 Crimean
Tatars came for Suzdal. After that a
monumental construction in Suzdal
began again. But XVII century had
been the most unlucky period for
Suzdal: in 1644 the town was given
away as a dowry to Danish prince
Waldemar, the future husband of
princess Irina, the daughter of
Russian tsar Mikhail Fedorovich. A
conflagration of 1646 destroyed the
whole Posad and pox of 1654
annihilated almost half the
population of the town.
After all those
misfortunes of the first half of
XVII century, Suzdal came alive
again. But only rich monasteries
could allow themselves a stone
construction obviously - the Convent
of the Intercession of the Mother of
God, the Monastery of our Saviour
and St. Euthimius. Other monasteries
hardly repaired their buildings.
Step by step monasteries grew rich,
they developed construction of
churches. Famous builder Nikiphor
Beklemishev was sent to Suzdal from
Moscow. He raised new walls with
towels around the Kremlin. Local
architects Gryaznov, Mamin and
Shmackov became outstanding masters
of their time.