History of Suzdal. Mongol-Tartar invasion.
invasion of 1237-1238 didn’t pass over Suzdal. Mongol hordes, commanded by Batu
Khan, laid siege to Vladimir and went to Suzdal up the Nerl River. They deceived
grand prince Georgy’s plans who expected to meet enemies on the Sit river. The
hordes came to Yarun Hill close to the Kremlin. Suzdal was burnt out and
plundered; almost all citizens were killed or captured. The monastery of
Entrance was destroyed. Forces of the grand prince were womped on banks of the
In 1257 Suzdal was laid under
tribute. Mongol tax-gatherers managed to receive it.
That time Vladimir lost its value
and Suzdal became a center of religious life. New monasteries are built: the
Trinity Monastery next to The Convent of the Deposition of the Robe of the
Mother of God in the northern part of the town, the Monastery of St. Alexander (legends
unite its name with Alexander Nevsky’s name) on the high bank of Kamenka river
on the North-East, the Monastery of St. Basil on the East on the Kamenka river
bend. Not a stick or stone remained of those buildings – all of them were wooden.
Under the influence of Moscow
principality’s politics, Suzdal prince Konstantin Vasilyevish moved the capital
of Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod principality to Volga, rather far off powerful
neighbour. During an opposition of Moscow and Suzdal princes, the great Monastery
of our Saviour and St. Euthimius and The Convent of the Intercession of the
Mother of God were built. They also performed as fortresses.
In 1392 the Horde gave a right for
Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod principality to Moscow prince Vasili Dmitriyevich. It
meant the end of Suzdal independence, although it had tried to restore political
authority and previous territory of the principality by 1445.